Here's the South Pacific Coast rail line (now Union Pacific) looking south on Thornton Avenue in Newark. The branch line on the left went to the machine shop back in 1878.
By 1913, when this photo was taken, the machine shop was history. It closed around 1908. From South Pacific Coast by Bruce MacGregor.
Looking north on Carter Avenue is where the machine shop stood for more than 30 years. Carter Avenue is named for the Carter brothers, whose company built most of the narrow-gauge rail cars in California.